Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Olympian effort

I was reading The Knitist's blog just a short time ago. She has declared her intention to enter the Knitting Olympics, hosted by none other than the Harlot herself, that mad, wonderful creature. I, of course, not being the type to resist a challenge, have been thinking about it for the past twenty minutes. Can I do it? What would be my challenge? Then I thought of it -- socks. My first pair of socks.

I own plenty of sock yarn but have resisted the temptation thus far. I like big, impressive projects, I guess, not things that get hidden inside of shoes. However, this may be destiny calling my name. Surely I can complete socks in 16 days, even if I'll probably be working on my Stitches homework simultaneously. Surely.

To make it harder, maybe I should do knee socks? I am a pretty fast knitter these days. I am tearing through my 2006 projects. I have completed four so far (the sexy Kaalund scarf is off the needles, love it love it love it), thanks to watching the complete first season of Veronica Mars, and I'm a good 5 inches into the Hourglass sweater from Last-Minute Knitted Gifts (in blessedly sensuous Noro Cash Iroho, how decadent). And knee socks would be less hidden by shoes, especially if worn with gauchos or a short skirt.

Hmmmm...

In other knitting news: CNITU2 wore his Cashmerino onesie out on the town Saturday night -- it finally got cold enough in SoCal. Wouldn't you know it, he picked that night to projectile poop with such force that his diaper leaked all over his pale blue loveliness! Sis has washed the thing twice and it's still stained. I am less upset about this than you might think -- after all, it's meant to be worn, and babies poop and spit up and pee all over things, that's just what they do. I do hope she can get it out well enough for him to wear it again. At least I got photos...

8 comments:

kathy monahan said...

Dooooo it! The world needs more socks. Anyway, you know you want to be part of anything called the Knitting Olympics.

Is it immature for the phrase "projectile poop" to make me spit Yellowtail Shiraz on my keyboard?

Wiz Knitter said...

Only in that it's a damn shame to waste that tasty Yellowtail. Yum.

Much discussion at last night's knitting meet-up about our various insane Olympic projects. I'm in. How could I say no?

spinnity said...

As you know, socks are a great comfort to me and I wear them a lot, even when I can't wear other knits. It's like having hidden Mickeys on your feet!

I think I'm going to do the Olympics.. I'll try knitting my ArtFibers yarn into a short sleeve T using my new top down knitting skills from TKGA.

Wiz Knitter said...

Good for you! That sounds kinda hard. I think I might be calling you a lot during those two weeks. Promise not to hate me?

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're joining up. You can grab yourself a USA Sock Knitting Team button over at:
JenLa

Anonymous said...

Actually, I said that last comment, but the silly Blogger Comment Interface mucked it all up and left me Annonymous. Bah!

And it still won't let me put my info in. Grrr.

-Jeni

kathy monahan said...

Awright FINE, I GIVE UP, I just signed up for a knitting class. You owe me $135. Thanks a LOT. :P

Wiz Knitter said...

Hooray! MKM's taking knitting! Spreadin' the love!