Sunday, February 12, 2006

Sean White rules, but so do I

While watching Sean White kick snowboarding butt, and poor Apollo Ohno not even get to compete, I completed my goal for the day -- 42 rows of the pattern, the complete first chart!



And some unexpected news in the Knitting Olympics world: Team San Mateo has a new surprise member! My DH picked up the needles for the first time since childhood to make me a coaster to match the one I gave him. The yarn is GGH Samoa in a nice green. He's using my size 7 needles. And honestly, for his first two rows, he's doing pretty well, even if he looks a bit annoyed.



Immediately after I took this photo, he returned to playing Civilization IV.

The next two evenings are somewhat busy ones, with Valentine's Day and all, but I'm setting the modest goal of completing the next 29 rows of the pattern and 1 decrease row. 15 rows a day, pretty manageable. Wednesday is meet-up night, and I'm hoping to get to the heel that night -- another 42 rows, but shorter ones, so I might make it. The heel terrifies me slightly, I might need a little help from the sock goddesses.

If the first sock is finished by next Saturday, I'm in great shape to finish the second by the closing ceremonies. However, Stitches looms large on the horizon. It's kind of like suddenly broadcasting a Nascar race in the middle of the Olympics... oh, wait, they're doing that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great work so far! Keep up that pace and you'll be gold...

spinnity said...

Big heel tip for the Olympic knitter: just follow the directions. Knit across, turn and knit back, leaving stitches unknit. It's a SHORT row. Makes a lovely little cup for the heel. You're gonna love it!

I made my goal of 6" from the caston tonight and have no big Valentine's plans for tomorrow, so I'm going to try to get to the underdarms by Wednesday. Hope to see you @ meetup!

adamwiz said...

bad picture! I wasn't annoyed, just perplexed. Seems like I can't knit without purling... or something like that...